The Edinburgh College of Art (1904 - 1969): A Study in Institutional History.
Lawrie, Scott J.
MetadataShow full item record
This thesis documents the academic and institutional history of the Edinburgh College of Art from its first conception by the 'Scotch Office' in 1904 to the establishment of an academic association by the College with the recently formed Heriot-Watt University in 1969. It is based on the evidence of existing documents from the College Archive; newspaper reports of the day; records and papers in the National Library of Scotland, the Scottish Records Office, the City of Edinburgh Archive, the Heriot-Watt University Archive, and the Edinburgh Room of the Central Lending Library. In this period of some 55 years, the thesis explores the thinking behind the setting up of the College; the nature and provision of its original courses; the development of teaching in the different Schools; some of the personalities involved and the changing character of the place while under the direction of its first six Principals. Appendices provide a database of academic staff throughout the period, a list of the Principals, together with an account of the composition of the Board of Governors, and the reminiscences of a number of former staff and students as the 'oral evidence' which is available on the life and work of the College. This work represents the first systematic attempt to provide an institutional history of the Edinburgh College of Art.