The material presented in this submission comprises original
research publications by the author in the fields of quantitative
genetics in animals and in man. The research on animal genetics
was carried out between 1959 and 1968 at the A.R.C. Animal Breeding
Research Organisation, Edinburgh, and the work on human genetics from
1968 to 1974 in the Department of Human Genetics at the University
Within each field of study rather more than half of the
papers are theoretical or operational in nature, dealing with results
of general interest or with new methodology. The rest of the papers
are more practical, estimating genetic parameters and responses in
animals, or dealing with specific diseases and their prevention in
human populations. The object of this precis is to present and
integrate the various papers, to describe the main findings of the
research and to discuss their relevance in the respective fields.
RESEARCH PAPERS SUBMITTED
(IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER)
1. Smith, C. 1959. A comparison of testing schemes for pigs.
Anim. Prod. 1 : 113. ||
2. Smith, C„ 1960. Efficiency of animal testing schemes.
Biometrics. 16 : 408. ||
3. Smith, C., King, J.W.B. and Gilbert, N. 1962. Genetic parameters
of British Large White bacon pigs. Anim. Prod, k : 128. ||
k . Smith, C. 1962. Estimation of genetic change in farm livestock
using field records. Anim. Prod, k : 239. ||
5. Smith, C. 1963. Genetic change of backfat thickness in the
Danish Landrace breed of pigs from 1932 to i960. Anim.
Prod. 5 : 259. ||
6. Smith, C. 1964. The use of specialised sire and dam lines in
selection for meat production. Anim. Prod. 6 : 337. ||
7. Smith, C. and King, J.W.B. 196^. Crossbreeding and litter
production in British pigs. Anim. Prod. 6 : 265. ||
8. Smith, C. 1965. Results of pig progeny testing in Great Britain.
Anim. Prod. 7 : 133. ||
9. Pease, A.H.R. and Smith, C. 1965. A note on the heritability
of muscle colour in pigs. Anim. Prod. 7 : 273. ||
10o Smith, C. and Ross, G.J.S. 1965. Genetic parameters of British
Landrace bacon pigs. Anim. Prod. 7 • 291. ||
11. Smith, C. 1966. A note on the heritability of leg weakness
scores in pigs. Anim. Prod. 8 : 345 ||
12. Smith, C. 1967. A note on the improvement of a trait by
selection on its components. Anim. Prod. 9 s 12.7. ||
13. Smith, C. 1967. Improvement of metric traits through specific
genetic loci. Anim. Prod. 9 : 349. ||
14. Smith, C., Jensen, E.L., Baker, L.N. and Cox, D.F. 1968.
Quantitative studies on blood group and serum protein
systems in pigs. I. Segregation ratios and gene
frequencies. J. anim. Sci. 27 i 848. ||
15. Jensen, E.L., Smith, C., Baker, L.N. and Cox, D.F. 1968.
Quantitative studies on blood group and serum protein
systems in pigs. II. Effects on production and reproduction. J. anim. Sci. 27 : 856. ||
16. Cox, D.F. and Smith, C. 1968. Herd differences and genetic
trends in Iowa pigs. J. anim. Sci. 27 : 577- ||
17. King, J.W.B. and Smith, C. 1968. Development of a pig sire
line by selection, with immigration. (Abstract).
Anim. Prod. 10 : 245. ||
18. Smith, C. 1969. Optimum selection procedures in animal
breeding. Anim. Prod. 11 : 433. ||
19. Smith, C. 1970. Heritability of liability and concordance in
monozygous twins. Ann. Hum. Genet. 34 : 85. ||
20. Emery, A.E.H. and Smith, C. 1970. Ascertainment and prevention
of genetic disease. British Medical Journal. 3 • 636. ||
21. Smith, C. 1970. Ascertaining those at risk in the prevention
and treatment of genetic disease. In 'Modern Trends
in Human Genetics'. Vol. 1, p. 350. Edited by
A.E.H. Emery, Butterworth, London. ||
22. Falconer, D.S., Duncan, L.P.J. and Smith, C. 1971. A statistical
and genetical study of diabetes. I. Prevalence and
Mortality. Ann. Hum. Genet. 34 ' 347. ||
23. Smith, C. 1971. Recurrence risks with multifactorial
inheritance. Amer. J. Human Genet. 23 : 578. ||
24. Smith, C., Holloway, S, and Emery, A.E.H. 1971- Individuals at
risk in families with genetic disease. Jour. Medical
Genetics. 8 : 453- ||
25. Smith, C. 1971. Discriminating between different modes of
inheritance in genetic disease. Clinical Genet.
2 : 303. ||
26. Smith, C., Falconer, D.S. and Duncan, L.J.P. 1972. A statistical
and genetical study of diabetes. II. Heritability of
liability. Ann. Hum. Genet. 35 : 281. ||
27. Smith, C. 1972. Correlation in liability among relatives and
concordance in twins. Human Heredity. 22 : 97. ||
28. Darlow, J.M., Smith, C. and Duncan, L.J.P. 1973- A statistical
and genetical study of diabetes. III. Empiric risks to
relatives. Ann. Hum. Genet. 37 : 157. ||
29. Smith, C. 1972. Computer programme to estimate recurrence risks
for multifactorial familial disease. British Medical
Journal. 1 : 495- ||
30. Holloway, S.M. and Smith, C. 1973. Equilibrium frequencies in
X-linked genetic disease. Amer. Jour. Hum. Gen.
25 : 388. ||
31. Smith, C. and Watt, M., Boyd, A.E.W. and Holmes, J.C. 1973.
Anencephaly, spina bifida and potato blight in the
Edinburgh area. Lancet. 1973 (i) 269. ||
32. Smith, C. 197^. Concordance in twins. Methods and interpretation. Amer. Jour. Hum. Genet. 26 : 454 ||
33. Emery, A.E.H., Elliott, D., Moores, M. and Smith, C. 197^. A
genetic register system (RAPID). Jour. Med. Gen.
1 1 : 1 45 ||
34. Smith, C. 197^. Some implications of HL-A and disease
associations. Lancet. 197^, (i) : 450 ||
35. Bonaiti-Pellie, C. and Smith, C. 1974. Risk tables for genetic
counselling in some common congenital malformations.
Jour. Med. Genet. 11 : 374 ||
36. Skinner, R., Smith, C. and Emery, A.E.H. 197^. Linkage between
the loci for benign (Becker-type) X-borne muscular
dystrophy and deutan colour blindness. Jour, Med. Gen.
11 : 317 ||
37. Smith, C. and Mendell, N.R. 197^. Recurrence risks from family
history and metric traits. Ann. Hum. Genet. 37 s 275. ||
38. Holloway, S.M. and Smith, C. 1975. Effect of various medical
and social practices on the frequency of genetic
disorders. Amer. Jour. Hum. Genet. 27 : 614. ||
39- Moores, H.M., Smith, C. and Emery, A.E.H. 1975. A computerised
register system for ascertainment and prevention of
inherited disease. In "Advances in Systems and
Cybernetics". Gordon and Breach, London. ||
40. Curnow, R.N. and Smith, C. 1975. Multifactorial models for
familial disease in man. Jour. Royal Stat. Soc.
Series A. 138 : 131- ||
41. Emery, A.E.H., Davie, A.M. and Smith, C. 1975- Spinal muscular
atrophy - resolution of heterogeneity. In 'Recent
Advances in Myology', Excerpta Medica Inter. Congress
(Series No. 360). Amsterdam. ||
42. Smith, C. 1976. Resolution of genetic heterogeneity in
familial disease. Ann. Hum. Genet. 39 s 281. ||
43- Morton, N.E., Smith, C., Hill, R., Frackiewicz, Law, P. and
Yee, S. 1976. Population structure of Barra (Outer
Hebrides). Ann. Hum. Gen. 39 : 339- ||
44. Van Regermorter, N. and Smith, C. 1976. The importance of
determining the mode of inheritance for the estimation
of recurrence risks. J. Genet. Hum. 24 : 46.