(1) Undoubted changes are frequently found in the thyroid gland in infants, in acute diseases, (E.G) Broncho Pneumonia, and in chronic conditions, (E.G)
(2) Undoubted changes also occur in the thyroid glands
of infants dying of Marasmus.
(3) In Marasmic cases these changes consist chiefly
in a disappearance of the colloid, and an increased fibrosis.
(4) The greater number cf true marasmic children in
spite of careful dieting and good hygienic
surroundings, fail to improve and ultimately die.
In them one of the most marked post mortem
changes is seen in the thyroid gland (as already stated).
(5) In these cases of Marasmus which have been given
small doses of thyroid extract in addition to the ordinary dietary, marked improvement sets in almost immediately, in
improvement which is steadily maintained.