Information Services banner Edinburgh Research Archive The University of Edinburgh crest

Edinburgh Research Archive >
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies >
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies publications >

Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/1842/2199

This item has been viewed 64 times in the last year. View Statistics

Files in This Item:

File Description SizeFormat
Loc Vet Educ web.pdf7.24 MBAdobe PDFView/Open
Title: Locating veterinary education in Edinburgh in the 19th century
Authors: Macdonald, Alastair A
Warwick, Colin M
Johnston, W T
Issue Date: 2005
Citation: Macdonald, A.A., Warwick, C.M. & Johnston, W.T., 2005. Locating veterinary education in Edinburgh in the 19th century. Book of the Old Edinburgh Club, New Series Vol 6, 2005, 41-71
Publisher: The Old Edinburgh Club
Abstract: Several accounts of the history of veterinary education in Edinburgh have been published during the last two centuries, most written specifically for the profession. It is not generally well known that that three veterinary colleges were founded during the nineteenth century, by William Dick, John Gamgee and William Williams. Where and when these enterprises were located in the city has been lost from memory. It has been forgotten that discussion of the need for veterinary education began in Edinburgh during the enlightenment years of the eighteenth century.
Description: The University of Edinburgh has been authorised to reproduce and distribute reprints and on-line copies for their purposes notwithstanding any copyright annotation hereon.
Keywords: Veterinary Medicine
History
Edinburgh
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/1842/2199
Appears in Collections:Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies publications

Items in ERA are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

 

Valid XHTML 1.0! Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all material is copyright © The University of Edinburgh 2013, and/or the original authors. Privacy and Cookies Policy